Monday, February 5, 2007

Interlude

From the mind of Kemosiri:

It was with more than a little relief that Kemosiri finally saw what he was looking for up ahead. He hated the throngs of people in Japan, and the crowds thinned somewhat as he approached the ruined castle. For whatever reason, the closer he got to his location, the more alone he became.

Taking a quick glance around to ensure that nobody was watching him, Kemosiri ducked behind a wall and spoke the Atlantean incantation. The spell was almost second-nature to him now. As he imposed his will upon reality he felt no small amount of satisfaction as his body became more ethereal. He stepped through the wall and walked towards his destination. He passed through another wall, and began descending upon the old staircase. As he walked, he felt his body solidify again, and heard the sharp rap of the point of his cane upon the worn stone steps. The deeper that he descended the cooler that the air became. He could feel the dampness in the air. He couldn’t help but feel that this place was little more than a tomb.

You’re mad, you know. The dry voice of reason spoke in his mind. Only a madman would stay here after what you’ve seen.

That’s why I have to stay. I’ve seen too much to leave now.

This land is killing you. And it’s not a quick death. You’re dying in degrees.

There are worse things than death. Ignorance, for one.

Is knowledge worth losing your soul?

The rest of his descent passed in silence.

Stepping past the faint remnants of the wards left by the previous occupants, Kemosiri entered the main room. It looked no different than it had when he had last been there more than a month earlier. He brushed some old newspapers off of a cot and sat down and waited. He didn’t have to wait long. It was only a minute before he heard the soft voice behind him.

“You came back.”

Kem stood and turned to face the ghost that had materialized behind him. She looked precisely as he remembered her. He bowed slightly before her.

“Konnichiwa, little one.” He said, sitting back down. “I told you that I would return.”

“But you didn’t say when.” There was no emotion in her voice. No anger, sorrow, or regret. It was the first time that he had encountered a ghost that was not trapped by an emotion. He found it more than a little unsettling.

“Truthfully, I did not know when I would be able to return. You have been undisturbed, I trust? The men with the snake tattoos have not returned?”

She shook her head. “Good, good.” He replied absently.

Silence followed for several minutes. Kemosiri sat and watched absently as the girl wandered about the room. Finally she turned back to him.

“Why did you come back?”

Kem regarded her quizzically. “I promised that I would.”

“But why?”

He thought for a long moment. Why had he come back? Why had he made the promise to come back in the first place? Finally he gave up.

“I don’t know why I promised you. It just seemed like the right thing to do at the time.”

She nodded solemnly. “I’m glad you promised. I’ve been lonely here without the Samurai. And I’ve been scared that the snake-men would come back. Will you protect me if they come back?”

“If I can. I can’t be here all the time, and if they came while I was gone I wouldn’t know. I still don’t understand how your guardian was able to warn me.”

“You would know if they came back. You know so much.”

Kemosiri laughed bitterly. “I know almost nothing. I don’t know why I made a promise to you. I don’t know why I stay in a land where most of my ‘allies’ would happily see me dead. I don’t know why I keep searching for a knowledge that will likely kill me and I sure as hell don’t know why I’m telling you all this!”

The girl cocked her head to the side slightly, and her gaze suddenly seemed to penetrate him. “You’re different. You’ve changed.”

He couldn’t help but agree. “This place has changed me.” He began slowly. “I’ve done things since coming here that I wouldn’t have thought myself capable of. My soul is… eroding. I wonder how much longer it will be before I’m no different than some of the monsters I’ve had to kill.”

“You’re not a bad man. Not like the others.”

Kem’s eyes narrowed. “Aren’t I?” He snapped. “When I first came to this land, I had never killed anybody before. In the last few months I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve killed – or at least tried. I was loathe to command the undead to do my will when I first landed in Japan. Now I don’t even think twice about it. If they don’t do as I ask, they do as I command. Sometimes I don’t even bother to ask.” He stood up and walked towards her. “I could command you if I wanted to. I could use my power to give your form substance, and force you to do my bidding. I could make you do vile things. I could be more of a monster than your father ever was.”

She didn’t even flinch. She just stared impassively at him. “But you won’t do that, will you?”

Kem stopped in his tracks. “How can you be so sure?” He asked, tears coming to his eyes. “I’ve killed without a second thought. Sometimes I’m not even sure what I’m capable of.”

“Because you’re here.” She said simply. “You’ll kill the bad men if you have to, but you won’t like it.” Kem slumped on the floor, sobbing, and she walked over and put an ethereal hand on his shoulder. He could barely feel it. “They like what they do. You hate it. That’s why you’ll never be like them.”

It was a long time before Kemosiri looked up again. When he did, he was alone again. Slowly, he pulled himself to his feet and began to weave the spell that would let him exit the sanctum again. As he did, one thought kept repeating itself in his mind.

How long until I start enjoying what I do?

Return to Chapter 11

No comments: